National Volunteer Weeks is a time to “celebrate people in action!” Volunteers contribute so much everyday to the community, with little or no recognition for the work that they do. The Independent Sector values volunteer time in 2011 to be $21.79. We believe their contributions are worth more than any money could buy!
If you love volunteers like we do, why not show them your love this week and beyond. This week is the perfect time to start showing your recognition for the work that your volunteers are doing. Whether you are a traditional thank-you note kind of person, or you like to spice things up a bit, we have an idea for you! Check out today’s list and get inspired to celebrate the volunteers who make our community better everyday.
- Present your volunteers with handwritten appreciation certificates
- Host a theme party for your volunteers (toga, tea party, Hawaiian theme)
- Send a kind smile their way
- Outreach to local media for volunteer project coverage or thank you write up to volunteers
- Send them candy for a job well done
- Create a volunteer suggestion box and show them that you value their opinion
- Shake hands with your volunteers and thank them for a job well done
- Invite volunteers to staff meetings so that they have a voice in organizational decisions
- Is your organization hosting a conference? Develop a special award for volunteers to allow them to go for free!
- Have a volunteer of the month hall of fame
- Host a volunteer party catered by a local restaurant. Include a volunteer red carpet for their entrance.
- Provide coffee and breakfast for an early volunteer event.
- Take pictures of volunteers at the service project and share them on social media.
- Provide volunteers with a four-leaf clover and a note saying, “We’re lucky to have a volunteer like you!”
- Hold a volunteer awards ceremony similar to the Academy Awards for volunteers. Best female volunteer, anyone?
- Give volunteers sparklers with a note saying, “No one sparkles like our volunteers.”
- Hold a volunteer ice cream social.
- Give your volunteers a round of applause at the end of a service project
- Have a fabulous contest to reward dedicated volunteers with prizes
- Utilize Cabot Creamery Cooperative’s Reward Volunteers Smartphone application to celebrate service hours!
- Have the CEO of your organization come to the service project to say “thank-you” to the volunteers
- Pass out Lifesavers to your volunteers with a note saying, “Thank-you volunteer, you’re a lifesaver!”
- Have a volunteer pizza party!
- Sponsor a volunteer retreat for the most active volunteers
- Give movie passes to your volunteer leaders.
- Ask your volunteers to contribute a blog post to your organization’s blog about their volunteer experience.
- Let your organization and your volunteers know the impact that they made during the project.
- If your volunteers are involved in big projects, have a plaque made for the site with their names on it.
- Make a photo album of the project and the volunteers to display at your organization.
- SAY THANK YOU EVERY PROJECT EVERY TIME!
It is important to show your volunteers how much your organization appreciates the work that they do. We hope that you will take a minute and recognize them for their commitment to service this week and beyond!
How do you say “thank-you” to your volunteers? Share your thoughts in the comments section below, we would love to hear your ideas!