The key to recruiting and retaining boomer volunteers is for nonprofits and volunteer centers to develop an ongoing dialogue with boomers and tailoring service opportunities to meet their needs and desires around service. Here are some tips for focusing on boom recruitment and retention:
- Recruit boomers through wide outreach, including media, community events, and through peer-to-peer outreach.
- Develop recruitment materials tailored to reflect language, interests, and self-image of boomers.
- Provide orientation and training to help boomers understand the nonprofit world, the opportunities that are available, and their role and responsibilities as volunteers.
- Screen and match volunteers based on an assessment of skills and interest.
- Create ongoing opportunities through trainings, social events, and group projects for boomer volunteer to learn, gain new skills, meet other boomers, share stories, and work together with other boomers.
- PRovide recognition opportunities that are meaningful to your volunteers – getting to know your volunteers as individuals is the best way to find out how they would like to be recognized as volunteers.
Do you work with boomer volunteers? What are your tips for recruiting and retaining them?