We often talk about ways to recognize volunteers, which is incredibly important. However, there are others in the volunteer realm who deserve recognition as well. Show the value that your organization places on volunteer engagement by recognizing staff members who engage and work with volunteers. Recognize your organization’s staff members who partner with volunteers with these tips.
- During any formal recognition ceremony or staff meeting, be sure to recognize the staff member who works with the volunteers as well. This small action reinforces your organization’s emphasis on the partnership of volunteers and staff to carry out the your mission.
- Highlight excellence in staff engagement when any employee has:
- Thought up new ways to thank or recognize volunteers
- Created an innovative volunteer program
- Done an incredible job supporting and working with volunteers
- Be sure to ask for staff input in evaluating and designing volunteer participation. Who knows better what is needed than your organization’s own dedicated staff?
- A personal touch is always appreciated. Informally ackwnoledge an employee’s support of volunteers by thanking them in person or writing them a personal note. Thoughtfulness goes a long way.
- Feature the staff’s work in any promotional materials or information to be sent to your organization’s board.
- Share staff support of volunteers via electronic means as well. Your organization’s blog, website, or even a staff-wide email could be deemed appropriate.
- Consider asking volunteers to nomiate a “Most Supportive Employee” in their efforts and present that award at an event.
- In the same vein, consider asking volunteers to share their appreciation for staff, perhaps even in a silly way. There is rarely a bad time for a volunteer skit!
How does your organization recognize staff member who support volunteering? Let us know in the comments below.