Patriotic spirit is in the air! We are only a day away from fireworks, barbeque, and everything American! Not only is the Fourth of July a great day to relax, spend time with family, and celebrate being an American, but it is also a great time to give back to your country through the act of service.
It is easy to forget that we are all united citizens of this country, meaning that we are all intertwined and have a responsibility to help one another. We also have a responsibility to protect our lands from pollution, toxins, etc. Take a few minutes from your celebrations to remember these values and give back to your community tomorrow!
Below are just a few ways that you can celebrate America in your community!
- Make cookies for the firefighters, police men and women, or EMTs. Unlike many of us who get to relax today, July 4th is one of their busiest days of the year!
- Thank your favorite teacher for teaching you everything you need to know to be a responsible and successful American.
- Feed the hungry! Spend your morning serving at a local soup kitchen or donate food items to a food bank.
- Send a military man or woman a care package and thank you letter. It is important to thank our service men for protecting our freedom.
- Hold a picnic for the veterans in your community to thank them for their service to our country.
- Learn the history of your town by visiting your library. You will be a better-rounded citizen, if you make a conscious effort to learn your city’s history.
- Clean up a river or park in your neighborhood. Celebrate living in a beautiful setting by keeping it clean.
- Choose greener alternatives such as green cleaning products, recycled plastics, etc. Love your earth and it will love you back.
- Fly a recycled American flag, instead of buying a new one. RecycledUSFlags.com is a great resource to find one!
- Share your leftover food with someone in need. We all know that family cook outs mean a ton of food, take your leftovers to a neighbor in need. You could even invite them to the cook out!
- Invite a needy family to a day of all-American fun complete with a game of corn hole or horse shoes.
July 4th is a great day to unite your community. By participating in good works, you will exemplify what it means to be a good citizen and a great American. Keep America beautiful and the spirit of American patriotism alive today and year round!
How are you celebrating the Fourth of July? We would love to hear your plans in the comments section below!